Ohio Wesleyan Outlasts Capital in Overtime, 82-78

Pictured: Tyler Schreck (credit: Hanna Pinkelman)
Pictured: Tyler Schreck (credit: Hanna Pinkelman)

By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Tuesday night's cross-town affair between Ohio Wesleyan University and Capital University featured a battle in the trenches that went into overtime at The Capital Center. After Capital erased a double-digit lead, both squads went back and forth to head to overtime where the Battling Bishops outlasted Cap, 82-78.

Final statistics


  • Ohio Wesleyan went into the halftime break up six points and thought Capital began to creep closer as the half progressed, the Battling Bishops continued to work the inside to build a 10-point lead with 8:01 remaining.
  • Freshman Ryan Roth (Findlay, Ohio/Findlay) entered and helped Cap come to within one point of OWU with his mid-range jump and deep three from the far wing to fuel a 12-3 Crusader run. Within the run, sophomore Reed Bradfield converted on a three-point play after being fouled on a make at the rim.
  • Roth gave Capital its first lead since the 13-minute mark with a pair of free throws after being fouled. Cameron Caldwell (Westerville, Ohio/Westerville South) extended Cap's lead to 68-66 with 1:43 to go after splitting two free throws.
  • Ohio Wesleyan's Ethan Stanislawski and Capital's Cameron Caldwell exchanged 3-pointers, but a foul in the OWU offensive zone put Stanislawski back to the line to tie the game at 71. Ganiyu Yahaya's 3-pointer from the top of the key fell short and Grant Spicer's heave on the other end was slightly off the mark leading to overtime.


  • Both teams went scoreless over the first 1:01 of the overtime period with the first point being cashed in by Yahaya after splitting a pair of free throws. He then came back and put the Crusaders up by four after draining a three with 3:31 remaining.
  • Capital's lead was as many as five points before Ohio Wesleyan scored 10 unanswered points, seven coming from the free throw line. Stanislawski hit another 3-point with 44 seconds to go to regain the lead, 78-76. The Battling Bishops did not relinquish that lead.
  • Capital committed two critical turnovers down the stretch that put the ball back into OWU's hands, one possession leading to insurance points.


  • The Battling Bishops only had three field goal attempts in the overtime session but converted 8-of-10 free throws to make up the difference. Conversely, Capital went just 2-for-6 from the charity stripe.
  • Though there was no shortage of attempts from long range, both teams made their living in the paint. Both teams scored more than 45 percent of its points in the painted area.
  • Both teams struggled from behind the arc though CU held a higher success rate at 31.6 percent (6-19). Ohio Wesleyan was nearly shut down around the perimeter after shooting just 4-for-18 (.222) from 3-point range.
  •  Ohio Wesleyan shot 50 percent (28-56) from field goal range, while Cap held a 41.2 percent (28-68) success rate.
  • Cameron Caldwell led Capital with a season-high 20 points and was one of four CU starters and five total Crusaders to score in double figures.
  • Sophomore wing Tyler Schreck (13) and Ryan Roth (10) both notched career-high point totals.
  • Ohio Wesleyan (3-1) was led by Gabe Johnson's 18 points and seven rebounds, while standout Ethan Stanislawski was held to just eight points on 2-of-8 shooting from the field and committed six turnovers, though he did put forth four assists.


Capital (3-3) will break for the holiday and open Ohio Athletic Conference play with crosstown rival Otterbein University on December 7 in Westerville. The CU men's and women's teams will play in a doubleheader at The Rike Center with the women beginning play at 5 p.m. The men will follow at approximately 7 p.m.