By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
ADA, Ohio – Four Crusaders found themselves scoring in double figures and those that were not scoring were contributing in other ways as part of Capital University's 76-50 victory over Ohio Northern University in an Ohio Athletic Conference weekend showdown. Capital had one of its most consistent offensive showings paired with a strong defensive performance to shut down the Polar Bears at the ONU Sports Complex on Saturday afternoon.
CC FUELS 3-POINT GAME
- Junior guard Cameron Caldwell got the scoring started with back-to-back 3-pointers to put Cap up 6-0 early in the first half.
- Caldwell would add a third triple later in the game to add to Capital's successful day behind the 3-point line. Caldwell matched what the entire Capital roster shot from long range at 50 percent.
- The Crusaders hit 10-of-20 3-pointers on the day with freshmen Ryan Roth and Griffin Doseck, and senior Ganiyu Yahaya each tallying two.
HOT START EARLY FORESHADOWS THE FUTURE
- Capital opened the game on an 8-2 run which should have served as a hint of what was to come. Those point totals nearly doubled on both sides when underclassmen Tyler Schreck and Griffin Doseck hit the inside and increase CU's lead to 14-4 with 12:26 remaining in the first half.
- Short of a 3-pointer from Jared Wurst, ONU was kept quiet for a three-minute span, but they were not short on attempts. Over the last 8:24 of the first half, ONU was held to just six points on 2-for-8 shooting.
- Ohio Northern was held to just 27.6 percent (8-29) shooting from the field and just 4-of-13 (.308) from behind the arc. No Polar Bear scored more than five points in the first 20 minutes of play.
- Conversely, both Ganiyu Yahaya (Abuja, Nigeria / Wesleyan Christian) and Cameron Caldwell (Westerville, Ohio / Westerville South) had already landed in double figures by the half's end. Yahaya (11) and Caldwell (10) combined to shoot 9-for-15 (.600) from the field.
- The numbers did not get much better for ONU in the second half after shooting just 33.3 percent (9-27) from field-goal range and 6-for-15 (.400) from 3-point range in the second half.
- Capital kept shooting and made one big push to solidify the win near the midway point of the second half. While ONU again stalled on the offensive end, Capital went on a 20-0 run that got kick-started by Griffin Doseck's triple plus a layup in transition off of an ONU turnover. Caldwell chipped in five unanswered points prior to Ryan Roth's trey to go up by 21 points, 62-41.
- Ohio Northern (2-5, 0-3 OAC) was held scoreless for nearly seven minutes of game time before Brandon Waugh snapped the drought with a 3-pointer. However, the Polar Bears were held to just nine points in the final 11:49 of the game.
SOME MORE NUMBERS
- With his team-leading 17 points, Cameron Caldwell has now scored 15 or more points in each of his last four games.
- After logging 16 points against ONU, Ganiyu Yahaya has now scored 10 or more points in all nine games this season.
- Sophomore Reed Bradfield scored 11 points on 5-of-7 shooting and was one of four Crusaders to tally a pair of steals. Griffin Doseck rounded out the list of double-digit scorers after posting 12 points on 5-of-9 shooting.
- Junior Joe Hartmann led both sides with 13 rebounds and dished out three assists.
- Brandon Waugh (14) and Austin Allemeier (11) led ONU in scoring, while Caleb Bryan logged a team-high 10 rebounds.
Capital will play its last contest of the 2019 calendar year in a nonconference game on the road at Manchester University (Ind.) on Monday, December 16. Game time is set for 6 p.m. ET. The Spartans are 3-5 overall and come off back-to-back conference losses.