By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
SANDUSKY, Ohio – The Capital University men's golf team participated in the Cameo Pizza Battle at the Brook this past weekend, where it finished fifth out of six teams. The 36-hole tournament was played Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 7-8, at Plum Brook Country Club in Sandusky.
TOP CAP PERFORMER
Senior Chris Dearth (Dublin, Ohio) ended the weekend as Capital's top performer after taking a share of 15th overall on the leaderboard. Dearth cashed in rounds of 75 and 76 to finish 9-over par (151) over the weekend.
- Freshman Colin Frimel moved up the leaderboard from fourth on the squad to second with an 80 on Saturday and then improving by three strokes to turn in a 77 on Sunday. He finished with a 157 (+15) to claim a share of 24th overall.
- Last week's surprise, freshman Shane Murphy, finished fourth in the Capital lineup after churning out a 78-83-161 (+19) to tie for 31st.
- Ryan Czerniakowski dropped six strokes between rounds one and two (76-82-158) to tie for 26th (+16).
THE REST OF THE FIELD
- Wittenberg University took the team title by four strokes (578, +10) over Ohio Wesleyan University (582, +14).
- Wittenberg had three of the top seven finishers while OWU had individuals take second and third after shooting par (71) or better.
- Parker Pickell of Kalamazoo College made a huge leap in the standings and shot 5-under par on day two to claim top medalist honors, defeating OWU's Justin Skinner by one stroke.
The Purple and White will gear up for a two-day tournament it will co-host with Otterbein University. Capital City Match Play will begin on Sept. 14 at NorthStar Golf Club in Sunbury, Ohio and then move to Royal American Links in Galena the following day. Day one will begin at 10 a.m. with Sunday action to begin at 3 p.m.