Men’s Lax Kicks It into Gear in Win Over Grove City

Pictured: Ryan Rampi (credit: Jamie Gaffney)
Pictured: Ryan Rampi (credit: Jamie Gaffney)

By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Capital Men's Lacrosse had a slow start to its game versus Grove City College on Saturday afternoon, but good things come to those who wait. Once Cap broke into the middle of the second quarter it was all Crusaders in its 18-6 victory over the Wolverines at Bernlohr Stadium.

Grove City (2-3) came out with two goals in the opening quarter and begin with the momentum but the Crusaders quickly stole it back when senior Ryan Rampi (Hilliard, Ohio/Hilliard Darby) found the back of the net off of a cross feed from junior Talbott Gottwals (Columbia, Md./Atholon) to get them on the board. Gottwals scored one of his own a little more than a minute later when he whipped one home to tie the game, 2-2, before breaking for the second quarter.

The Wolverines came back out and scored the first two goals of the second quarter, as well. Henry Brannan scored his second goal of the day to kick it off. Brett Gladstone converted on a man-up opportunity to double up Grove City's lead, 4-2. However, that goal marked the Wolverines' last for 21:35 of game time.

Capital then ripped off 11 consecutive goals to pull ahead once and for all. The run began when junior Luke Wyatt (Springboro, Ohio/Springboro) returned the favor on the man-up when he and junior Carter McCormick (Horseheads, N.Y./Horseheads) teamed up for Cap's third goal. Wyatt came back and scored with just four seconds remaining in the second quarter to put Capital up, 5-4, just before the half.

McCormick came out of halftime and just 63 seconds in scored his first goal of the season and Cap's fourth unanswered of the game. Of the eight goals that Cap scored in the third quarter, each of them came from a different Crusader, though a multiple Crusaders found the scoresheet twice in different ways. McCormick and Barrett Naugle tallied one goal and one assist while junior CJ Hughes notched two helpers in the quarter.

Meanwhile on the other end of the field, senior TJ Johnson (Champlin, Minn./Champlin Park) was having another stellar day between the pipes with his third consecutive quarter with four saves. He surrendered just five goals through 54:52 of time and finished the day with 13 stops. Johnson has now made 10 or more saves in three of his four starts out of the gate.

Capital kept the goals coming with tallies from Hughes and two from Rampi to bulk the score up to 16-5. Freshman Spencer Towne then scored his third goal of the season after the Crusaders began mixing in its reserves with the game well in hand. Freshman Charlie Farmer also made his first collegiate appearance and made his first career save in the process. In 5:03, he made three saves.

Freshman Jack Scharner turned in a highlight reel goal to complete Cap's 5-0 run in the fourth quarter when he came from the GC goalie's right side and slung the rock into the goal while diving through the crease area. After a discussion, the officials declared it a good goal and Capital went up 18-5.

Grove City scored just once in the fourth quarter and was outscored 13-2 in the second half, combined.

After Grove City standout faceoff specialist Grant Evans went 7-for-10 on the X in the first half, Cap's Tyler Faig then cleaned up by going 9-for-12 in the second half. Faig finished the day having won 12-of-21 faceoffs on the day.

Ryan Rampi led the Crusaders with five goals, and he shared the lead for points (6) with teammate CJ Hughes. Luke Wyatt tallied a hat trick, while Talbott Gottwals recorded a five-point day behind two goals and three assists.

Capital (3-1) will now prepare for a road contest against regional foe Wittenberg University (1-3) on Wednesday night. Game time is set for 7 p.m. from Edwards-Maurer Field.