By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Capital University women's soccer team put forth a solid effort and made quick work of the Kenyon College Ladies on Wednesday evening in the front leg of a CU Soccer doubleheader. Three Crusaders had multi-point nights to help the Purple and White cruise toward its fifth win of the season.
- The Crusaders shot early and often and held an 11-1 advantage over Kenyon College in that category. Key scoring chances, outside of Cap's two first-half goals, came from Cassidy Ryan (12'), Carly Murry (24') and Jordan Fike (26').
- Less than one minute after Fike's first scoring chance, freshman Lauren Bowe (Springboro, Ohio / Bishop Fenwick) buried a shot to the top-right corner off of a corner kick taken by Jordan Fike (Powell, Ohio / Olentangy Liberty). The score put Cap up 1-0 in the 28th minute of the contest.
- Nearly two minutes later, the Crusaders struck for a second goal. Freshman Avery Hart (Pickerington, Ohio / Pickerington North) dribbled toward the far corner, stopped and sent a touch pass back to sophomore midfielder Gabby Viggiano (Hilliard, Ohio / Hilliard Bradley). Viggiano took the space and with space launched the ball past the diving Kenyon goalkeeper, Erika Freiberg.
- Capital took that 2-0 lead into the half, but it could have been more Sophomore Casey King also had an opportunity in front of the net which Freiberg saved.
- Kenyon's only scoring opportunity and shot on goal came in the 43rd minute when Gwyneth Phillips sent in a shot, but it missed wide left.
MAKE IT THREE FROM FIVE, WHO HAS TWO!
- Lauren Bowe continued to have a strong day following her second goal of the contest, scored just before the turn of the 60th minute. Again off of a corner, the ball was played forward on a header by Aaliyah Brletic that was stopped by the Kenyon keeper. The rebound came back out into play where Bowe then turned and fired from inside 10 yards off the goal line.
- Capital added a fourth goal on the Ladies off the boot of Jordan Fike. A pass sent Avery Hart into the far corner where she dribbled and sent a pass airborne into the middle of the box. Fike was there waiting and struck it out of the air and put it in the back of the cage to put Capital up, 4-0, in the 73rd minute.
- The goal was Fike's fourth goal of the season, all scored over the last five matches.
OTHER NEAT NUMBERS
- Viggiano's goal in the first half was her first as a Crusader.
- Hart posted two assists in the game, the first two of her collegiate career.
- Fike had a three-point night behind a goal and an assist (to Bowe, 28').
- Bowe's second of the game served as her third of the season.
- Capital dominated in the final shot count, 26-2, as well as in corners (9-0).
- Junior Kelly Bachmann earned the start and the win despite limited action between the posts.
The Crusaders, now 5-2-0, will host Hanover College (Ind.) on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. The Panthers (3-2-1) and Crusaders will meet on the pitch at Bernlohr Stadium.