Crusaders Spook Yellow Jackets in 1-0 Victory

Crusaders Spook Yellow Jackets in 1-0 Victory

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The adjustments made heading into the second half were exactly what was needed, and led the Capital University men's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over visiting Baldwin Wallace University. The Crusaders put the pressure on in the final 45 and landed the match's lone goal plus the No. 2 seed in the upcoming conference tournament.

The regular season finale brought with it excitement come game's end. The win improves Capital's Ohio Athletic Conference record to 7-1-1, which lands the Crusaders the second overall seed in next week's OAC Men's Soccer Tournament. The high seeding will grant the Purple and White a first-round bye and at least one home match heading into next week's conference tournament.

In terms of historical context, the Crusaders have only posted seven or more conference wins four times in the program's history. Three of those years came in succession and was last accomplished in 2009 when the Crusaders last won the OAC tournament title. The team's seven wins also mark the most in conference play while being led by fourth-year head coach Alan Yost.

After an uneventful first half in which neither team generated many quality scoring chances, Capital's offense laid on the gas and put forth nearly four times as many shots than it did in the first half. Of Capital's 11 shot attempts in the final 45 minutes, four landed on frame and one found the back of the net.

Junior Hunter Stiger (Cincinnati, Ohio) scored his fifth goal of the season and second in three matches just before the turn of the 75th minute. Sophomore Calvin Saunders broke away and blasted a shot that was saved by BW keeper Zach Haynes, but the rebound bounced back in play where Stiger cleaned up the loose ball. His shot was blasted over Haynes' left shoulder and put Capital up by one.

The Capital defense clamped down and continued to keep the area in front of sophomore Justin Niswonger (Centerville, Ohio) clean. Baldwin Wallace (4-13-3, 1-7-1 OAC) mustered just two shot attempts in the second half, neither on frame. Niswonger was tested just once in the contest. He acquired his seventh win of the season.

With the first-round bye accrued, Capital will play next on Thursday, Nov. 5 against the winner of the No. 3 versus No. 6 game to be played on Tuesday, Nov. 3. More details regarding that match will be provided later in the week.