Late Night Drama Leads to Scoreless Draw with Marietta

Pictured: Justin Niswonger (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)
Pictured: Justin Niswonger (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)

By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Though Tuesday night's match featured zero goals, there was no shortage of drama between the Capital University and Marietta College men's soccer teams.

After a scoreless 100 minutes and play that progressively became more physical, both teams suited up for the final 10 minutes of the match. Within the first minute, freshman Wesly Coleman earned a red card, which put the Capital sideline into a frenzy. After a lengthy break in the action and another red card being administered to the Capital sideline, the Crusaders were forced to play the final 9:03 one man down. This did not change Capital's strategy in attempting to end the game with a win.

Capital junior Chewy Gordon had two header chances in the second overtime alone, one which was saved and the second that landed wide right of the cage. Brandon Woo also placed a shot on goal, another header that Marietta keeper Tyler Sholl stopped with less than 15 seconds to go in the match. The Pioneers were unable to score even while a man up, leaving the game in 0-0 draw.

The Purple and White now find themselves in a four-way tie for third place in the updated Ohio Athletic Conference standings with three matches yet to play. Capital, Marietta, Heidelberg University, and the University of Mount Union all have identical 3-2-1 conference records after Tuesday night.

Senior goalkeeper Justin Niswonger (Centerville, Ohio/Centerville) had another solid night and made multiple saves that kept the Pioneers off the board. His most impressive came in the 79th minute when Tom Sloan found a soft spot in the Capital defense and fired a dart toward the Capital goal. Niswonger had to move to his left, but did so calmly and made a clean catch for the save. Niswonger finished with seven total saves.

Capital put some early pressure on their guests when just 90 seconds into the contest junior Chewy Gordon was on the receiving end of a pass into the box. There, he put a head on the ball but sailed it just high of the crossbar.

Both teams started to play more physically as the match progressed, leading to a pair of yellow cards administered and 13 fouls between the two teams in the first half. Marietta finished the game with 10 to Capital's 13 foul calls.

Shot attempts were even between the two teams. Marietta took 16 attempts while Capital put up two more than the Pioneers. Gordon paced Cap with four attempts, equaling Marietta's team leaders Robert Phillips and Tom Sloan.

Capital has one last home match on Saturday, Oct. 21 against nationally-ranked John Carroll University (12-2-1, 4-2-0 OAC). JCU, who is also the defending OAC regular season and tournament champion, is currently ranked No. 9 in NCAA Division III per the most recent United Soccer Coaches rankings. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Bernlohr Stadium.